Psalms Of Thanksgiving
It is so easy for us to become distracted by the business of daily living: schedules, bills, traffic, bills, work, bills, shopping, bills, doctor visits – oh, did I mention bills?
The clutter of life tends to obscure the blessings that attend us daily, blessings that come to us from God: "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights" (James 1:17).
If we lose focus on how blessed we are, thankfulness will shrivel. And thankless people easily become selfish and indulgent. So, after our national recognition of thankfulness this past week, let us reflect upon the following psalms of thanks:
"The Lord lives! Blessed be my Rock! Let the God of my salvation be exalted. It is God who avenges me, and subdues the peoples under me; He delivers me from my enemies ... therefore, I will give thanks to You, O Lord, among the Gentiles, and sing praises to Your name." (18:46-49)
- "Sing praise to the Lord, you saints of His, and give thanks at the remembrance of His holy name. For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life; weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning." (30:4-5)
- "You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, to the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever." (30:11-12)
- "But I am poor and sorrowful; let Your salvation, O God, set me up on high. I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify Him with thanksgiving ... the humble shall see this and be glad; and you who seek God, your hearts shall live."(69:29-30, 32)
- "We give thanks to You, O God, we give thanks! For Your wondrous works declare that Your name is near." (75:1)
- "How long, Lord? Will You be angry forever? Will Your jealousy burn like fire? Pour out your wrath on the nations that do not know You, and on the kingdoms that do not call on Your name. ... Oh, do not remember former iniquities against us! Let Your tender mercies come speedily to meet us, for we have been brought very low. Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of Your name; and deliver us, and provide atonement for our sins, for Your name’s sake! ... So we, Your people and sheep of Your pasture, will give You thanks forever; we will show forth Your praise to all generations." (79:5-6, 8-9, 13)
- "It is good to give thanks to the Lord, and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; to declare Your lovingkindness in the morning, and Your faithfulness every night." (92:1-2)
- "You who love the Lord, hate evil! He preserves the souls of His saints; He delivers them out of the hand of the wicked. Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart. Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous, and give thanks at the remembrance of His holy name." (97:10-12)
- "Oh, give thanks to the Lord! Call upon His name; make known His deeds among the peoples. Sing to Him, sing psalms to Him; talk of all His wondrous works. Glory in His holy name; let the hearts of those rejoice who seek the Lord. Seek the Lord and His strength; seek His face evermore. Remember His marvelous works which He has done, His wonders, and the judgments of His mouth." (105:1-5)
- "Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness, and for His wonderful works to the children of men! For He satisfies the longing soul, and fills the hungry soul with goodness." (107:8-9)
- "At midnight I will rise to give thanks to You, because of Your righteous judgments. I am a companion of all those who fear You, and of those who keep Your precepts. The earth, O Lord, is full of Your mercy; teach me Your statutes." (119:63-64)
Television commercials urge us to "get the ______ you deserve." The truth is that we deserve God’s eternal wrath. But God graces us with abundant blessings too many to count. And the ultimate blessing is the life of His Son for ours, to redeem us from our sins.
It is only right that we should constantly express our heartfelt gratitude, for such thankfulness forges a secure bond between us and God. Banish the darkness of discouragement with the songs of thanksgiving!